January 26, 2016

Interview with Caande

     Candelaria Maguregui is a foreign exchange student. Becky Hammill, one of our writers, interviewed her in the beginning of the year, and we took this opprotunity to catch up with her towards the end of first semester. In this first installment of our video interviews, Caande touches on sprinting in track, staying with her host family - the Harmons, what it's like being away from home, and her expectations of America. She also talks about the Oregon weather, American food (cookies!), skiiing for the first time, and why she wanted to visit the USA.

      Transcript available:


      TRANSCRIPT OF VIDEO INTERVIEW:
      I have to look there? My name is Candelaria, but everybody calls me Caande. And, I'm from Argentina.
     In Argentina, I do track. I do the hurdles. I'm not very good at the long distance, so I prefer to sprint.
     Well, the Harmons are a really good family. They are always taking me to everywhere I need to go. They are always doing something for me. We went to Las Vegas for a weekend, and we also went to Leavenworth.
     I don't really miss home. Just when I'm alone, and I need someone to talk to, but I don't really miss it. The hardest thing about being here was being away from my friends and my family. Because, sometimes, I need someone to talk to, and it was hard to make friends.
     I had the idea of the American movies. I had, like, the idea of. I don't know what I expected. I just came here, and I surprised myself.
     The weather is very different. Here is more colder than in Argentina, and we don't have snow. In my city, I don't have snow.
     I love cookies. I don't make cookies at home. And mac-and-cheese.
     I have been there three times already. And, I am not very good at it. But I am getting better.
      I wanted to learn another culture, and just learn how to speak English fluently. I feel like my English has improved a little bit. [I think it has!]

No comments:

Post a Comment